Dental sensitivity is a short but very intense pain, like a flash of the teeth in contact with food or cold drinks, hot, sweet or sour. The pain that comes with the trigger stimulus disappears along with its removal, announces that our teeth are sensitive.
Although we talk about a common problem, 1 in 3 people faced with it, not all those who suffer from this condition are aware that they have sensitive teeth. Instead of seeking expert advice, they either ignore the pain or find ways to avoid it. Unfortunately, ignoring long-term pain can lead to tooth loss or even losing your teeth!
How do problems start?
The main cause for sensitive teeth is the exposure of the dentin, a porous structure located just below the enamel, which in different situations come to be “aggressed”. Brushing brutal, excessive use of whitening gels, bruxism and acid drinks and foods affect tooth enamel, resulting in sensitivity setting.
“Dentine exposure may have different causes, from gum recession, as a result of excessive or aggressive brushing with a hard bristled tooth brush, to teeth’s natural “wear” because of natural contact between teeth or because of bruxism (teeth grinding). Another cause of erosion of tooth enamel is dentin exposure caused by consumption of acidic drinks and foods,” explained Prof. Dr. Constantin Varlan.
How to prevent teeth from being too sensitive?
Brush your teeth with a soft bristled brush, carry trays at night if you grind your teeth, use a less abrasive toothpaste, don’t abuse your teeth with whitening treatments, and last but not least, give up certain habits that facilitate erosion of enamel. Notice that both beverages, and acidic foods dissolve tooth enamel because they have a low pH level.
Leave a comment
- Tips to Use Coupons to Save Money on Your Groceries
- Top gifts for gardeners in 2013
- A secure home for a secure family
- What are the risks of not getting enough sleep?
- Flinders Chase National Park promises spectacular scenery and fascinating wildlife
- Rise of the Female Trader
- 5 Wedding Presents Ideas for a Young Couple
- New Wiring Norms For UK Electricians: Your Man Needs to Know This
- Basic tips to pick your gaming room furniture wisely
- Fantastic Hedge Trimmers